Sunday 11 December 2016

Injuries I Have Seen-Unintentional

As some of you might have noticed I haven’t posted anything in a long time and this is because I left several stories in drafts feeling as though they weren’t finished enough to be up on the blog. It wasn’t until I decided to write this particular post that I felt everything finally had a place. I have talked about lots of different sports injuries but had never really went into the details of what was causing them and I believe this is what had me stuck. I couldn’t just keeping writing about stories and never searching for the details. The truth is most injuries have quite a back story because they are done unintentionally, or in other words, are accidents.
How do these accidents occur? And what sort of injuries am I talking about you wonder? Here is a list of just a few of the things I am referring too:
Ø  As some of you may recall I talked about a head on collision that occurred between myself and a teammate a few blog posts back. I talked about how much pain I had felt but didn’t describe in detail why it had happened. The truth is it was a complete freak accident that occurred because we were not aware of our surroundings enough. This is a golden rule in all sports. I can just hear my coach saying it over and over in my head when I think about this event. This little lapse in judgement sent two people to the hospital, caused two concussions, a broken nose, and a cracked skull.
Ø  Falling is also another unintentional injury that can be very detrimental to any athlete’s game. Just think of the occurrence of Taylor Hall falling during warm-up which resulted to getting a skate to the forehead and taking him out of the game for quite some time.(video above) These types of injuries cannot be prevented because it is not in our control when gravity takes over but the overall effect of them can be reduced greatly by adding more protection for the players. For example in the Hall case if he would have been wearing a helmet his head would have been protected from the skate.
Of course I could not possibly list all the accidental injuries that occur in sports because the list is endless. I will save some injuries for other blog posts further down the road, I’ll call it something for you to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. The incident with Taylor Hall brought to my mind something that I watched happen during figure skating once. I don't remember the details but I do remember watching the spinning foot, wearing an ice skate, of one skater connect with the unprotected face of the other...there was a lot of blood on the ice and a lot of commotion around that rink.

    Considering that I fall over when attempting to put socks on I definitely don't think sports are for me as I would end up being hurt quite badly or doing some pretty serious damage to someone else. Far better that I observe from a distance.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete